XIV. INTERNATIONAL THEORY AND HISTORY OF ARCHITECTURE CONFERENCE
NOVEMBER 6, 2020
CALL FOR PAPERS
ARCHTHEO '20 / XIV. International Conference on Theory and History of Architecture will be held at Nippon Meeting Halls in Istanbul. The conference is coordinated by DAKAM (Eastern Mediterranean Academic Research Center) and will be organized by BILSAS (Science, Art, Sport Productions).
All abstracts are going to be selected according to double blind reviews and accepted papers will be published in the Conference Proceedings E-Book with an ISBN number that will be given to you in a DVD box during conference registration.
We invite you to join us at the event in Istanbul and would like to emphasize that proposals from different parts of the world are welcomed.
For the publication opportunities, registration conditions and presentation instructions, please visit the REGISTRATION INFO page. For accommodation opportunities and city tours, please read the ACCOMMODATION & TOURS page.
The first of the theory of architecture conference series ARCHTHEO has been held since 2011 at Mimar Sinan Fine Arts University focusing on the possibility of the theory without the backing of the practice or built environment. The title was, therefore, "Theory for the Sake of the Theory" in an emphatic fashion. In 2012, the discussion centered on the Living and space, the main has been chosen as "House&Home' in particular. ARCHTHEO '13 focused on the two leading roles in architecture, the architect and the so-called 'user' and 'Creativity, Autonomy and Function' has proved to be fruitful discussion theme. In 2014, 'Architecture and Text' has been discussed. Last year, 'Architecture and Criticism' was the main theme. The conferences, which has the focus on history rather than theory has started even earlier, in 2010. Architecture and Media, Architecture and Art, Interactions in the History, Architecture and Politics have the main themes of the events.
JUNE 16, 2017
AUGUST 11, 2017
Full papers submission:
AUGUST 18, 2017
ARCHITECTURE AND CRITICISM
- Criticism and History of Architecture
- Architectural Criticism, Critical Theory and ‘Critical Architecture’
- Essential Texts on Architectural Theory
- Architect as Author: Texts by the architects
Commenting on Space
- Multidisciplinary Studies on architecture
- A structural relationship between architecture and text
- Traveling, dairies and urban space
- Philosophy and architecture
Book and architecture
- History of architectural publishing
- Book and architecture: Architectural Writing
- Case studies on terminology and points of view
- Definition and concepts by architectural movements or periods
ARCHITECTURE AND CRITICAL APPROACHES
- Design as a Critical Tool
- Architectural History as Critical Practice
- Critical Theory and Space
- Ideology and Architecture
- Architecture and Capitalism
- Reformism and Radicalism
- Architecture and political art
- Controversies, counterparts and confrontations in architecture
EVERYDAY LIFE AND SPACE
- Everyday life, ideology and culture
- Phenomenology and architecture
- Anthropology, locality and 'low' architecture
- Body, movement and space
- Perception, feeling and space
- Metaphors, symbols and people
- Lives of Buildings
- Public and private life
- Objects and interiors
- The problem of scale in architecture
- Buildings, urban life and environment
Keynote speaker will be announced
NIPPON Meeting Halls in Istanbul
Nippon Hotel, Taksim
Topçu Caddesi No:6, Taksim, Beyoğlu, Turkey
Nippon Meeting Halls are located in the heart of Taksim, the cultural center of Istanbul and it is easily accessible by metro, taxi or bus.
You can easily reach Nippon Conference Halls by walking from Taksim Square.
Taksim can be regarded one of the most central places in Istanbul.
From the airport you can directly reach Taksim by taking the white HAVATAŞ Buses. Taksim
is also accessible by many bus lines, yellow minibus lines or two different metro lines.
Here are some useful links for public transportation in Istanbul.
Click here for the Istanbul metro network map.
Click here for the transportation fares and cards.
Click here for general information on public transportation in Istanbul.
9:30 Opening Session
9:45 Keynote Lecture 1
10:15 Coffee Break
10:30 Keynote Lecture 2
11:00 Coffee Break
11:15 Session 1 & 2 & 3
13:30 Session 4 & 5 & 6
14:45 Coffee Break
15:00 Session 7 & 8 & 9
16:15 Coffee Break
16:30 Session 10 & 11 & 12
16:15 Coffee Break
17:45 Closing Remarks